Wednesday 4 February 2009

Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

I just came across that phrase and I like it.

My life has been quite stormy for a long time now. There are indications that the sky is clearing, although looking ahead a few months there will be some major adjustments to make as my younger daughter leaves home, and instead of driving her to A&E for the umpteenth time, I'll be taking her to the airport and waving her off to pastures new and far away.

I'm someone who cries when I need - so there will be a few rainy days, I'm sure! But I shall dance as she builds her new life, dance with joy that it's been possible for her to spread those beautiful wings which have languished far too long in the sleeves of a hospital gown. How could I possibly do anything other than rejoice at her new-found freedom to get out there and live her life?

When the plane is a speck in the sky, and her presence is confined to the phone or computer screen, I shall go out and learn some new dance steps to show her when we next get together. Perhaps I'll learn another language, or Reiki, or go on some gourmet cookery course...

I'm with the person who wrote, "When life gives you lemons, make limoncello." (Although missing someone might leave a nasty taste in your mouth, it could never lead to bitterness). My other daughter already lives abroad, and though I miss her every day, there are also a thousand reminders that we are (as she put it) connected by 'bonds that oceans cannot break'.

I am so proud of my daughters - watching Shirley Valentine the other night, I was struck by how they are both daring to get out there and taste life before they get old and jaded. It makes me so happy that I have raised young women with guts and confidence. I know they sometimes worry about leaving me on my own, but...

...my turn next?! :^)

No comments:

Post a Comment