Tuesday 21 June 2011

Anecdote

I'm still laughing about something that happened in Castleton yesterday. The town was full of teenagers doing Geography surveys. I was sitting by a stream and heard three boys laughing about throwing things at a duck, so I walked along and leant on the bridge to see what was happening.

They were only throwing twigs, and it wasn't hurt - but it was obviously scared (though holding its own and quacking bravely back at them).

From my vantage-point I said very calmly and nicely, "PLEASE don't do that!" The boy furthest away said "Who said that?" His friend looked at me and then moved so the first boy couldn't see me, as I said: "There's no need, is there?"

They stopped throwing things, and then we had a chat about school, coursework, etc - and after I'd walked away my supersonic ears tuned into the poor lad saying, "I thought it wor't'DUCK talking ter me!!!"

He had just accepted the incident - of course a duck would do that. He never questioned that it had spoken! And so politely, too, as my daughter pointed out...

I'm still laughing about it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment