Friday 23 January 2009

Much Ado about Nothingness


We are composed of a million trillion bundles of energy,
Which flash on and off
In the heavenly binary code which defines our existence.

Our solidity is an illusion;
An image flickering too fast for us to register
The infinitesimal gaps –
Those places where we cease to be
ten thousand times a second.

And in those secret spaces,
Between the dreamt-of and unthinkable,
Dwell archetypes and angels,
Monsters and demons.

Energy is constant, so the scientists say;
But I am not.
Opposing forces in my life
Vie for supremacy,
Forcing me to choose a thousand times a day…
Saint or sinner? Give or take?
Loser or winner? Love or hate?
I’m led by a will which believes itself to be free,
Daily trying to discover the point of being me.

The miracle – that we were born at all;
That my fleeting existence coincides with yours,
And that we acknowledge our common humanity –
Is enough to justify my heroic struggle
As I do intellectual battle with eternity,
Giving life – my life – to ancient myths
Which repeat with endless variation
Through centuries of ordinary lives.

Nothing, they say, is new under the sun.
And yet each millisecond, each of us
Bears witness to a new life just begun

No comments:

Post a Comment